See 2021 Registration Options Below
CLICK HERE to Register
Why You Want It:
The Tribes Basic Online Course provides an opportunity for professional development where time, location, and/or funding is limited. Administrative and teaching staff will have an interactive online opportunity to experience authentic strategies to:
- Develop a positive learning environment in the classroom and school
- Teach students specific collaborative skills for social development
- Establish the Tribes agreements for a new pattern of interaction
- Ask a variety of reflection questions to increase learning
- Apply knowledge of the stages of group development to select appropriate cooperative learning strategies
- Initiate faculty groups for planning, peer coaching and support
How It Works:
The course is designed to engage participants in two interactive platforms; one requires posting written responses on a private class forum page, pertaining to reading and video assignments. The other is a virtual classroom where participants can experience the group development process, various cooperative learning strategies, and reflective practice.
The text, Reaching All by Creating Tribes Learning Communities by Jeanne Gibbs (click here for description) is required reading and course reading assignments will be specific topic pages.
In order to receive credit and/or certification for completion of this course, attendance at online class meetings is mandatory and all assignments must be completed within a specified time frame.
You will need an internet connection (high speed) that will enable you to download video or access YouTube and other media sites. Be familiar with PowerPoint and creating presentations. Audio and video (web cam or camera and microphone) capabilities on your computer are essential.
There are several courses scheduled for the upcoming year (see below). Some courses are designed for a more intensive 2-week duration, while others are facilitated over an 8-week period. The content is the same for either duration.
Two Week Course-
This will be an intense (but lively) two weeks, with 10 hours commitment to online participation in the virtual classroom and 20 hours dedicated to independent learning assignments that will be posted in a private interactive online forum. Have the whole Tribes experience in a timely fashion. Two weeks and done!
Two Month Course-
This less intensive course (over 8 weeks, instead of two weeks) will engage participants in the Tribes process as the school year progresses, thereby enhancing the learning community while experiencing the group development process.
It is designed so that participants will spend 2.75 hours with assignments and 1 hour online each week. If you cannot commit to 3.75 hours per week of dedicated reading, writing, and reflecting…this course is not for you.
Course Overview for Basic Online Course:
Specific class meeting dates and times for upcoming courses are available below.
- Each class has both a synchronous class meeting via Zoom and a discussion component.
- Class meetings are mandatory in order to be eligible for a certificate of completion.
- The discussion component is also mandatory, but may be completed in one of two ways:
- An asynchronous forum option where participants can provide their responses to assignments in writing, interact with other participants, and receive feedback from facilitators.
- A synchronous live discussion group via Zoom where participants can verbally share their learnings, comments, and opinions with other participants.
Participants can expect to learn about and discuss the following topics during class meetings:
- Class 1: Finding Our Way to the Future and Learning about Learning
- Class 2: Creating the Learning Community and Building PLC’s
- Class 3: Learning Through Collaboration and Reaching All
- Class 4: Designing Learning Experiences and Bringing It All Together
Class Schedule and Links:
Students will be sent the “Class” URL link. These “student only” web pages contain your assignments, and a link to the class forum page where you will post your weekly assignments, comments and other interactions with the instructor. Prior to the beginning of the course, you will receive instructions and links for the online classroom, preliminaries, and support. It is essential that you complete your set-up prior to the first online class meeting.
Keep in mind, you have the choice to complete assignment in the forum (in writing) or you can attend the Zoom Discussion Meetings to complete assignments in person.
Class Zoom meetings are mandatory for all to attend.
FEBRUARY 2021 SESSION ( 2 month course)
Feb 4 – Class 1 & 2 Forum assignments posted
Feb 9 – Class 1 & 2 Zoom Discussion Meeting [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]
Feb 16 – Class 1 & 2 Zoom meeting. [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]; Class 3 & 4 Forum assignments posted
March 2 – Class 3 & 4 Zoom Discussion Meeting [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]
March 10 – Class 3 & 4 Zoom meeting. [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]; Class 5 & 6 Forum assignments posted.
March 23 – Class 5 & 6 Zoom Discussion Meeting [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]
March 25 – Class 5 & 6 Zoom meeting. [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]; Class 7 & 8 Forum assignments posted.
March 29 – Class 7 & 8 Zoom Discussion Meeting [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]
April 1 – Class 7 & 8 Zoom meeting. [4 – 6pm Pacific Time]
Be sure to convert the listed class times to your own time zone.
REGISTER FOR ONLINE COURSE:
Click here for online registration to participate in the Tribes Basic Online Course. You will receive a Certificate from CenterSource upon completion of the course.
*Additionally, you will also need a copy of the book titled “Reaching All by Creating Tribes Learning Communities” by Jeanne Gibbs. This may be purchased directly from the Tribes.com bookstore, our Canadian Distributor-Tribes Resources in Canada, or our Australian Distributor-ACER.