Details for ‘The AM/FM Conversation’ are on page 87-88 and 91-92.
Here’s the gist:
- Imagine we each have a radio inside – a metaphor for our inner-speak
- AM = ‘against me’ conversations, FM = ‘For me’ or Forward Moving conversations.
- Discuss examples of both kinds of ‘talk’.
- Have participants draw a vertical line on paper and write down examples of their own AM and FM conversations. Share in small groups.
- Now have each person, in small group, practice talking in the ‘FM’. “If you really knew me you would know…(all ‘FM’ channel). Reflect on how that felt – both as a speaker and as a listener.
- Finally, invite everyone in full circle to share one FM statement he/she would like to say to him/herself more often.
This could be a very Influential strategy.
What about using in curriculum?! Apply the AM/FM channels to literary or historical characters, reasons for knowing algebra/geometry, study skills, test-taking, or topics like ‘social media’.