EVALUATION OF THE IMPLEMENTATION AND IMPACT OF TRIBES TLC
CenterSource Systems, LLC, contracted an external agency, WestEd, to conduct a three-year evaluation of Tribes Learning Communities®. This evaluation focuses on the extent and quality of implementation of Tribes TLC®, and its impact on teaching, student learning, and student achievement. WestEd collected data from 13 schools across the country using teacher and student surveys (N=216 and 842 respectively), phone interviews with teachers (N=19) and principals (N=12), and analyzed student achievement in 26 schools implementing Tribes TLC for one or more years, and in a select set of high-growth schools. This executive summary presents the initial major findings from WestEd’s studies on the implementation and impact of Tribes TLC conducted from December 2002 to July 2003.
EXTENT AND QUALITY OF IMPLEMENTATION
In the 13 Tribes TLC schools that participated in the surveys and interviews, WestEd found the following:
- Tribes TLC is being fully implemented in participating schools.
- There is evidence from teachers, students, and principals of improved student inclusion, respect for multicultural populations, sense of value among students, collaboration, and resiliency.
- Significant and increasing student engagement is reported in the participating Tribes TLC schools.
- All data sources indicate that there are safe and supportive classroom and school environments.
- Most students work together collaboratively and build social collaborative skills.
- Three quarters of teachers surveyed report that the Tribes TLC process helps them to address state performance and content standards.
- Three quarters of teachers agree that Tribes TLC helps students master the state standards.
IMPACT ON STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT
Analyses of student achievement in 26 Tribes TLC schools, and a subset of schools with high achievement growth show the following:
- 2nd grade reading and math scores increased significantly more in Tribes TLC schools than in comparison schools.
- The average effect size for 2nd grade reading and math scores is .24.
- 2nd grade mathematics, and 5th grade reading and mathematics increased more in high-growth Tribes TLC schools than in comparison schools.